Sunday, April 4, 2010

query: rock tripe


eva over at tinctory wrote to ask me if i'm the same person whose work appears on a page in the book Natural Dyes- sources, tradition, technology, science by Dominique Cardon. she had just purchased the book. well! that was news to me. so i've ordered a copy, and i intend to find out what's up. it seems that someone sourced a very old sample from the midwest weaver's conference that i prepared for the handspun sample swap. in 1985. citing the wrong lichen, no less. (of course the names could have changed in the intervening 25 years). i am exceedingly curious and have eva to thank for cluing me in. i will let you know the results of my ongoing investigation. (perhaps i'm playing harriet vane or kate fansler. no bodies, please)


the interesting bit? i remember attending that conference with my friends jean and jerry from wild meadows angoras, six months pregnant, my first time away from three year old ian. this is how mothers mark the passing of time!Cardon

6 comments:

  1. hmm.
    i try to make sure i have permission before publishing stuff
    but may well have slipped up somewhere myself
    so
    had better not cast any stones!

    especially as many years ago
    i was quoted in a published interview
    confidently citing information from a North American dye book that was apparently incorrect [in that book] but i assumed was true
    and a well-known international dyer
    took great delight in telling me this...not privately, but publicly
    in front of an audience of colleagues. i was made to feel very silly, as i was used as an example of how misinformation can be traced!
    sigh.
    fingers crossed there are no nasties in Eco Colour -
    and now going to be extra careful on current manuscript...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, no, india, i guess i'm just curious how such a tiny thing from a niche so long ago resurfaced in an acclaimed book. strikes me as quite strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what you will find out, very curious.

    So true...about how mum's mark the passing of time! Hope you had a good weekend.
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  4. how threads get connected. this is a curious adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the photo is attributed to the author of the book and you still have the sample I wonder if she took it at the weaver's conference. I asked you about it thinking that maybe you know Dominique Cardon. So it seems you went to the same conference in 1985 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. eva, i don't know dominique...i did look for her name in my conference materials, but it looks like she didn't participate in the handspun yarn swap. i am so excited to see if i can trace this lead. (i'm wearing my deerstalker and smoking my pipe!!!) the sample you see is the one i prepared, i think i made about 30 of them, for participants and a few other friends.

    ReplyDelete

be in touch!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *